Want to know about Google’s recent ‘Core Web Vitals’? Thinking about how you can measure them? Then you are in the perfect place. In this article, we will discuss how you can measure ‘Core Web Vitals.’
Day by day, Google is developing more tools to help SEOs and site owners measure Core Web Vitals easily. Did you know that Google now has six ways to measure Core Web Vitals? They introduced Core Web Vitals only a few weeks ago. Initially, SEO people were using the Chrome UX report to analyze this. But with the new announcement, companies are adding Core Web Vitals measuring tools. You can contact an SEO company for more information.
What are Core Web Vitals?
Core Web vitals metrics are made to evaluate web design areas that provide an excellent experience to the user. They are made up of three metrics: Largest Contentful Pain (LCP), First Input Delay (FID), and Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS).
These metrics are designed to provide an efficient way of measuring the significant indicators of UX design and SEO. This would help web developers and online business owners. Google has said that they will be using Core Web Vitals in the search algorithm, so websites should improve in these areas to be successful in the future.
How to measure Core Web Vitals?
The following methods can measure core web vitals:
- Google Search Console: Search console has a new feature named Core Web Vitals report. This feature would check all the pages across the entire web site to help the owners by evaluating those that are based on real-world data that came from the Chrome UX report. Along with the results, it also shows the pages that have mistakes and need improvements. Make sure the webpage has enough reporting data; otherwise, the page might get omitted during the process.
- PageSpeed Insights: PageSpeed Insights is another tool introduced by Google to measure the Core Web Vitals in both the lab and field parts of the report. The latest version of PageSpeed Insights uses Lighthouse 6.0 for performing the tasks.
For using this, you have to open the PageSpeed Insights tool webpage and enter the URL of the website you want to check. After the search, the Core Web Vitals are marked with a blue ribbon.
- Lighthouse: Lighthouse is another useful tool for web developers. It is an automated, open-source tool to improve the quality of WebPages. The latest update, Lighthouse, has been upgraded to Lighthouse 6.0. Several new features have also been added to the newest version. Some of the new features are additional audits, new metrics, and a newly designed performance score. Largest Contentful Paint (LCP) and Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS) were only recently launched for lab execution purposes of Core Web Vitals. They check the WebPages and provide solutions for improving the user experience. Besides these features, Lighthouse has several other tools to help web developers.
- Chrome UX Report: Chrome UX Report is also referred to as Chrome User Experience Report or CrUX. This report denotes the data related to the real user experience of all the available websites. It is a public dataset. The Chrome UX Report is different from Lighthouse. While Lighthouse analyzes and produces results on lab data, Chrome UX Report analyzes and gives results on real-world data. To measure the field versions of Core Web Vitals, you needed to use the Chrome UX report. Recently, Google has updated the Chrome User Experience report with a new Core Web Vitals starting page.
- Chrome DevTools: Chrome DevTools helps the site owners to check and solve the issues related to visual instability that can be a part of Cumulative Layout Shift (CLS). This tool is one of the best ones developed by Google for measuring the Core Web Vitals. The layout shift in the Summary tab can be used for viewing the details of the layout. You can also visualize the position of the shift by hovering over the moved from and moved to fields.
Total Blocking Time (TBT) is instrumental when one wants to improve the First Input Delay (FID). Chrome DevTools can also be used for measuring Total Blocking Time. Performance Modifications that can improve Total Blocking Time in the lab can also be used to improve the First Input Delay.
- Web Vitals Extension: Web Vitals Extension is one of the most effective tools offered by Google for measuring Core Web Vitals. This has the capacity to measure all the Core Web Vitals metrics just as Chrome measures them. For using this method, you have to install the extension from the Chrome Web Store.
These are the six methods Google offers for measuring Core Web Vitals. All of them have different features. You can use one of the ways depending on your needs.